English 4800

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Peggy McIntosh article

This article really opened my eyes to the truths behind white privilege. The list she writes about white privilege in our daily lives was astounding. These are things that I never would have thought about prior to the article. I really like how she introduced the idea of white privilege as an unearned power. This is so true, it is unfair for someone to have power over another because of the color of their skin, but it happens everyday. I agree with her in the fact that many whites are oblivious to these types of racism and inequalities. She lists ideas that whites take for granted everyday, especially when people stereotype certain races. They are an individual person so why are they being categorized negatively because of the color of their skin. This article was a wake-up call for me because she presents so many advantages whites have over other races and it is truly unjust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home